Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Reviews - Using Centers?

Good morning everyone!
I just found out yesterday that I will only be teaching Spanish 1 this coming year.  While I'm a little bummed that I won't have two preps, this gives me the chance to really beef up my plans for Spanish 1.

I have been thinking a lot about how I close each chapter.  In past years, I have given students a review packet to complete, which we then go over and I collect for a grade.  While this is fine and good, it's pretty boring.  I do like the practice they get from the packet, but I would like to spice it up.  This year, I'm going to try to do centers as review.  I can still have them complete a portion of the packet at a few stations (if I choose), but they will also be able to play games like go fish, battleship, and caramba!, as well as complete listening and reading exercises.

I have used centers in the past, and while I love them, it takes a lot of planning and forethought on the part of the teacher.   I'm hoping to have the first semester's worth of centers planned in the next two weeks or so.  I'll be sure to post on here what I come up with!

I wold love to hear how you review, so share your ideas with me in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I started using review centers last year at the end of each chapter and I think it worked really well! I usually had 4 stations - leer, escribir, escuchar y hablar. The speaking station was always with me, so I got a chance to see how each student was doing in a small group before the end of the chapter. I teach Spanish I-IV, so with 4 preps I often ran out of time to prepare, and opted for using review materials from the book at stations instead of getting as creative as I would have liked. I just found your bog and love it and can not wait to see what else you post from what you create for your stations! - Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Allison! I did try review centers once, and it is a lot of work. It's a great idea to use the book's review! I'm hoping to make up most of the stations now, so I have them to use when the time rolls around. I'll be sure to post what I come up with!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete