Sunday, July 14, 2013

Teaching numbers

Happy Sunday everyone!  I hope everyone has enjoyed their day so far.  I know I have!  It was my week to volunteer in the nursery at church (I get to be in the nursery every two weeks) and I had a blast playing with and rocking some of the sweetest babies you have ever seen!

In other news, I have been thinking a lot about how I teach my students and revamping my lesson plans to be more hands-on and interactive.  I know I'm not the only one doing this, so I wanted to share one of my favorite lessons for teaching numbers (especially bigger numbers).  My first year of teaching, I just kinda "taught" numbers (if you know what I mean...), and my students could count really well, but they had a hard time with their numbers out of order.  I spent a lot of time that summer trying to find a better way to teach numbers, and I stumbled across Pam Kaatz's Color Connection.  Pam is the creator of the Spanish Verb Wall (check it out if you haven't heard of it!) and her site is a goldmine of ideas.

Anyway, I found her lesson for teaching numbers and it works like a charm.  My students have such a blast playing, not even realizing they are learning (those are some of my favorite lessons!).  Here is the link to her lesson called "Random Numbers" and you can also download her "papelitos" (click on the picture below to be taken to her site and the lesson page).
How do you teach your students the basics?

No comments:

Post a Comment